Zia-ul-Haq and Sharia Law



1985

Assalamualaikum,

The year is 1985, and I have just instituted the Sharia Law on the people of Pakistan, and I am having mixed feelings towards that decision. The Muslims living in Pakistan only voted for me only because I had planned to force strict Sharia Law on the people of Pakistan. Some of the outsiders, such as America think that the strict law is too strong of a policy to imply on the people of Pakistan. I however believe that Sharia is a must for a Muslim society such as Pakistan. The Islamic Sharia Law is God's revealed law for human beings. Islam holds that God, as creator, desires human beings to live in certain ways, and that he has revealed those ways to humans. As a leader of a great Muslim society, I feel obligated to imply the law on the Pakistani people.
Since I was elected in 1978, I have heard many criticism of my work as president. I consequently clamped down on dissent by suspending the constitution, dissolving parliament, and outlawed political and labor activity, but I only did that for the good of Pakistan. As prime minister it is my job to keep Pakistan safe, strong, and stable, and by dictating the Sharia law in Pakistan is to do all those things. The point of the Sharia law is to lay down a solid foundation to keep society in order. For example, in the case of inheritance, when the father dies, the wife will get the largest share, then the children are given their share fairly. Small things like these that are implied by Sharia law, is why I have set it as an official law.
Besides how Sharia Generally helps Pakistani society, the current state of Pakistan need the Sharia law. The civil war within Pakistan, and the wars outside our borders with the communist bloc has left Pakistan scarred and unstable. The various boycotts and rebellions has put a very big risk on the delicate infrastructure of our nation. The wars with the Soviet Union has been tough on Pakistan even with $600 million in aid per year from countries such as the United States, The United Kingdom, and Saudi Arabia. Sharia Law, by the will of god, will heal our crippled nation, and once again restore our great Nation to what it used to be!
O Allah, please restore the honor for Pakistan. O Allah, you are the great, please help the people of Pakistan get by without any problems or Struggles. O Allah, you are the greatest, help the soldiers in Afghanistan win, and let them succeed; and taste Glory. Please, Allah, you are the Most Glorious, please forgive the people of Pakistan for their patience and cooperation, and relieve them of their stress and forgive them all. O Allah please forgive all those who followed the right Path. O Allah Thnak you for everything you have given to me, my family, and Pakistan, an please forgive us for whatever sins we have committed. AMEN!