Indo-Pakistani War of 1947 and Pakistan Independence of 1947 - From a Pakistani Citizen




August 23, 1947

Ah, my good leader Muhammad Ali Jinnah has liberated us from the evil imperialist Britain. That horrible country has finally retracted its paws from Pakistan. The date was August 14th of 1947. Celebrations are every where as I leave my store in Karachi to see this world in a new light. Just yesterday it was a different place. Just yesterday there was violence. And now it feels the burden has been taken off as my leader Ali Jinnah took the bold stand of becoming the first leader of this new state. I shall remember this day as a new leap forward. This story shall be passed down to generations and generations for this historical moment. My son who is only 7 years old does not fully understand the joy of a country where freedom might be possible for us. A place where we do not have to be segregated from those white devils, a place where we can my son and his friends can be endowed with liberty and justice. I remember the time 17 years ago when I was in my early twenties when I saw Muhammad Ali Jinnah proposing the idea of a separate state in the India subcontinent. Later did I know that he proposed the idea of a state where Muslims can be free from the violence that we face every day from the Hindus. Suddenly in the midst of celebration Ali Jinnah rose to the platform and spoke.
If you will work in cooperation, forgetting the past, burying the hatchet, you are bound to succeed. If you change your past and work together in a spirit that every one of you, no matter to what community he belongs, no matter what relations he had with you in the past, no matter what is his color, caste, or creed, is first, second, and last a citizen of this State, with equal rights, privileges, and obligations, there will be no end to the progress you will make.
That speech still resonates through my head as if that speech of his was a revelation to me. No doubt Pakistan will progress to be a world leading country in the future. This much I can promise to my young son.

Of course, now it is different. Soon after the liberation from the British Imperialist, we were faced with new a new terror. The terror was anarchy upon our borderline. This dispute I had no particular interest in because all I wanted was my son to have a country he can live in with out being segregated. Just as of yesterday as soon as India and Pakistan became separate nations, huge amount of immigration was seen. Hindus that lived in the Pakistan region moved out to India while Muslims in the India region moved into Pakistan. It was quite a scene to see because all was total anarchy. Nothing was in order. In the midst of all that there were casualties and I quickly covered my son’s eyes as guns shots were heard. I could not hope to see war would affect his childhood memories.
Now the date is October 21st of 1947. I have been drafted to the army leaving my family behind. The objective to once and for all settle the dispute of the borderline. I was none to eager to help. The other objective was to conquer the state called Kashmir. Well the beginning operation was called “Operation Gulmarg”. The whole objective was to capture Kashmir valley including its principal city Srinagar. Once I stepped into battle, I knew this operation was going to fail. In the end the state army that joined later mutinied. I was glad I was not there at that time because I heard it went pretty badly. Knowing that the operation was going to fail, my squad leader quickly helped us get out of this death filled valley. This operation was soon followed by Operation “Vijay”, Operation “Gulab and Erase”, Operation “Duck”, and lastly Operation “Easy, Punch Link-Up”. The war finally ended by a cease-fire signed by Pakistan and India. The U.N was glad to stop the war when Prime Minister of India Nehru asked to intervene. The date was December 31st of 1948. It was a good one year and two months of continuous fighting. Although some of the violence subsidized after a while. Well sadly for me as I was prepared to celebrate hearing that India and Pakistan signed a cease-fire, I went into cardiac arrest and soon passed away.