Benazir Bhutto


October 19, 1993

Today I have taken my oath for a second term as prime minister. Has it already been 5 years since my last election? I was the first female prime minister of a Muslim nation after winning parliamentary elections. This was a momentous day, not only for me, but also for the women all around Pakistan. I hoped to influence many young and old women around Pakistan, and that they would rise up to the traditional ways of Pakistani women.
When I first visited the United States as a young woman, I was instantly amazed at the way students talked back to their professors and parents, the open and casual relationships between boys and girls, and the freedom enjoyed by women. Such actions back home would surely result in harsh disciplinary and punishment. I soon adjusted to this way of life, and was determined to bring back some of these ideals home.
When my father has passed on the fateful day, I was desolate. It felt like a whole chunk of my soul have been ripped out. As I looked through the letters he has sent me while being detained, I slowly, bit by bit, regained myself and determined to uphold my father’s legacy.When I finally became the Prime Minister of this nation in 1988, my goals were to change the way our women lived their lives. For me the concept of being “obedient” to the husband and men were too…”old.” In these modern times, change is what was needed. Although the fundamentalist Muslim majority limited my abilities, in spite of that I pushed on and set up number of health cares and legal aid centers for women who were abused and did not need to return to their husbands out of fear. I have also appointed a number of women judges, and hired women police officers.Also during my first term, I have established a goal of reducing the aspects of shari'a that infringed upon basic human rights. This was a difficult task since it would mean I would be offending the Muslim society. Despite this, I succeeded in restoring fundamental human rights in Pakistan.
During my second term, I plan to continue the goals of the Pakistan’s People Party.