Nawaz Sharif



November, 2001

Assalamualaikum,

It has been two very long and weary years, and now I am finally free. Two long and tiring years has worn me out, and has left me crippled and scarred. Now it is 2001 and so much has changed during the time I was imprisoned. It was only two years ago, that I was the Prime Minister of Great Pakistan, and it was only two years ago that I was fighting with Benazir Bhutto, Pervez Musharraf, and Jehangir Keramat. That was two years ago, but now my life is different, and by the command of the new leader of Pakistan, I am exiled to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. It was only two years ago when all my life collapsed, and I remember it as it happened just yesterday.
As I recall, it was October 12, 1999, and I was suddenly overthrown in a bloodless and quick coup by my own military, under the order of Pervez Musharraf, and arrested for corruption of state. At the end of my trial I was sentenced behind bars for life. That say could have possibly been the worst day of my career and reputation, and that day I will never forget, and will always bother me every day of my life. Out of all my pain, I find a bit of humor in my past, because it was reported that the coup was planned from weeks before I was arrested, and it was right under my radar.
See, during my time as Prime Minister I only saw the best for Pakistan. During the first months I dismantled the old-style command economy and liberalized the market place, by doing this I hoped to help improve Pakistan’s current economy and only make things better for Pakistan. I invited foreign investors to establish operations in Pakistan, while I sold off inefficient, state-run businesses. I even lifted controls on foreign currency exchange and promoted extensive privatization just to help Pakistan’s economy . I did such great things for Pakistan, and then because of one thing I did. When Army Chief of Staff Pervez Musharraf was reluctant to withdraw his forces from the Indian border, I tried to suspend him and replace him with a much more suitable man for the job. To try to stop him I ordered his plane to immediately land so he could immediately be replaced. and because of that one decision I was charged for corruption of the state and for hijacking a plane. After trial I was sentenced for life only for the charge for corruption of the state. About hijacking charges, the judge said, that I had neither used force nor ordered its use or employed deceitful means . I spent 2 years in jail just because of that one hasty decision. I regret not taking a minute of two just to see the possible outcomes for what I did, but it really doesn’t really matter because as I said before, the arrest was planned weeks before. Trying to suspend Musharraf just gave them the right chance to act. After my arrest General Pervez Musharraf later assumed control of the government as Chief Executive . Since then I, have been imprisoned and in exile. Musharaf, My former general, is now stating that I am no longer “welcome” to Pakistan, because my appearance might cause “instability” in Pakistan.
Now I live in exile, and for the next 10 years I will stay in Saudi Arabia, where my family runs and maintains an extensive steel mill . I have also been warned by general Musharraf not to return to Pakistan under pain of arrest, and there Is no hurry for me to leave my residence, and I hope to stay in Saudi Arabia with my family and Inshallah live a happy and quiet life.