Indo-Pakistani War of 1965 - Pakistani Soldier


As I passed the cease-fire line with my other 28,000 or so comrades, I felt the chill of fear going through my spine. The date was August 5th 1965. It is now 18 years after my late father’s death. My father who was a small shop keeper back in Karachi was eventually killed in the 1947 battle of Kashmir. I was merely seven years old and did not understand when my mother told me that my father will never come back again. Back then, I thought it meant that he went on a business trip over the great boundless sea and to somewhere better. I despised him for that reason. Leaving my mother and I here to be living off of bare provisions from the local charities. However, as soon as I learned why he died I quickly enlisted as one of the small Pakistan armies here in Karachi. Now here I am waiting for orders as tanks, planes, and infantry pass the line to conquer the land known as Kashmir. I have no fear as I bravely march through with my leader General Ayub Khan. Although some disagreed with the idea of attacking India in the state it is now, I fully accede to his decision because not only India is weak due to the Chinese army weakening the India army but also that I can have my revenge for what they have done to my father.

On that day, August 5th, we dressed up as locals of Kashmir to various areas so that we can wait for the right moment to strike. However it must have not worked because as soon as 10 days later, India crossed the cease-fire line. On September 1st of 1965, Operation “Grandslam” took effect. The main objective was to swiftly capture Akhnoor. It was the key region between the intelligence communications between Kashir and India. With out the help of American tanks such as Patton we would have never have had the chance to stand on equal grounds and do a superior job at ground warfare than India that day. Soon as infantry tired out and retaliated, air force kicked in and did some punches to those Indians. However soon India mobilized its army and attacked one of the cities that I was fortifying. The city was called Punjab, and because of this Operation Grandslam was a failure.

Furthermore, the official beginning of the war did not start technically until September 6th when India crossed the international border. Their leader was the World War II veteran, General Prasad. We too met with the same intensity by sending 900,000 troops toward Lahore, Pakistan. September 8th, we received another mission. It was to run down the city of Munabao. The Indian army tried to put up a resistance but it was soon turned to be futile as we overpowered them by pure brute force and aerial attacks. However on September 10th, we received a crushing defeat as we lost 97 of our tanks and suffering heavy losses. That town that the battle was fought in became known as Patton Nagar meaning Patton town. Sadly for me, the war came to an cease-fire again as both sides knew it was going to be a stalemate on September 23rd . Perhaps it is to keep it as stalemate rather than depleting resources and wasting lives pointlessly.